Ryan M. Bacic
1. PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
The New York Times, New York, N.Y.
Dow Jones News Fund sports copy-editing intern (May 2015 – present)
The Washington Post, Washington, D.C.
Sports multiplatform editor (September 2014 – May 2015)
- Worked part-time while at Georgetown, editing The Post’s print edition for clarity, readability, grammar and style. Wrote print headlines and cutlines. Constructed roundups using wire stories. Published articles and blog posts to the Web.
The Baltimore Sun, Baltimore, Md.
Sports intern (May 2014 – August 2014)
- Edited for copy, headlined, wrote cutlines and composed daily “digest” section for the sports section of Maryland’s largest newspaper. Also pitched, reported and wrote regular feature stories and game recaps.
SB Nation, Washington, D.C.
Staff writer (October 2013 – October 2014)
- DC United beat writer for the team’s SB Nation site, Black and Red United. Covered every home game from the RFK Stadium press box, sitting in on the coach’s postgame press conference, interviewing players in the locker room, and filing match reports on deadline.
InTheCapital, a subsidiary of American City Business Journals, Washington, D.C.
Editorial intern (April 2013 – August 2013; January 2014 – May 2014)
- Wrote between four and seven posts a day over the summer to build the site’s nascent sports section. Acted as editor in the spring, going through every article by the website’s staff writers for copy and style.
Washington City Paper, Washington, D.C.
Editorial intern (August 2013 – December 2013)
- Pitched, reported and wrote features on D.C. sports for the alternative weekly print newspaper, in addition to helping out full-time writers with research and blog posts. Also edited print stories’ copy and style.
Staff writer and editor (June 2012 – June 2013)
- Contributed features, recaps, breaking-news articles and blog posts to the popular soccer website. Also edited and posted pieces by other Y.A. writers, in addition to featuring occasionally on the weekly podcast.
Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. (Aug. 2011 – May 2015)
- History major. Part of 15-student journalism minor program for Class of 2015. Cum laude.
- Served as sports editor of The Hoya between Nov. 2012 and Aug. 2013, overseeing a staff of more than 20 writers and editors to produce its sports section twice a week for print and online.
- Co-hosted a soccer talk show, “Off The Ball,” on Georgetown’s student radio station.
- Recipient of the 2013 College Student Award from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America for “From the Cellar to the Ceiling” (The Hoya, 4/19/13)
- Passed School of Foreign Service proficiency test in Spanish.